"How can anyone who is able to enjoy the beauties of a Virgil, a Tasso, a Shakespeare, who can follow the logical conclusions of a Liebnitz and Kant--how can such a one find pleasure in the Old Testament, so deficient in form and taste, and in the senseless writings of the Talmud?"
-Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch

Friday, March 03, 2006

Stone Me. I Can Think Of A Reason For It.

Not The Godol Hadors (click for post) post got me thinking. He said the Rambam held that if something happens to you- hey, that's life. NotTheGodolHador then points out that Chazal say to look at your midos if something bad happens. It would appear that one doesn't agree with the other. In my world, they do.

My take: Perhaps Chazal knew that if something happens to you: hey that's life. Our Sages wanted to use a mechanism to help people better themselves. By looking at yourself when something befalls you, you can analyze your actions. The cause doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that an occurrence happened and there is what to learn from it. It is very easy practice to think of reasons for bad occurrences related to your midos and what not.

Example-
Occurrence: I stubbed my toe.
Real reason for occurrence: I wasn't paying attention to were I was going.
Lesson to be learned: 1- I don't go to shul fast enough. 2- I don't go to as many shiurim as I should. 3- I kicked somebody. 4- (for my mystical readers)I dumped my toenails on the floor instead of burning them. 5- etc.etc.
The Point: I can think of a million reasons for stubbing my toe. The reasoning's I choose will be different then yours. I will choose my reasons based on, inside, what I feel I did wrong. It doesn't even matter if in the heavenly court I really did do something wrong!

I think chazal, in step with The Bam, agree that life is hashgacha klalis for the most part. They feel that you should use your daily occurrences as lessons to better yourself and the lighting that strikes people is just real bad luck.

May we all be strong enough to better ourselves so that The Creator will see our efforts and bring the Messiah.

0 Comments:

Add a comment